Are You Prepared for Hurricane Season 2019?
June 3, 2019
Forecasters expect that the 2019 hurricane season will be close to normal, which means about 12 to 14 named storms will likely develop in the Atlantic hurricane basin between June 1 and November 30.
You still have time to prepare.
Hurricane Preparedness Checklist
When planning to keep your family safe during a hurricane, consider taking the following precautions:
- Call your agent and get an insurance check-up. Remember that flood insurance must be obtained separately. Locate your insurance documents and take them with you if you must evacuate your home.
- Develop an evacuation plan. If you live in a hurricane-evacuation zone, plan where you’ll go and how you’ll get there.
- Gas up your vehicle and have extra cash on hand.
- Build a hurricane supplies kit
- Identifying the best evacuation route.
- Take inventory of your personal belongs using Germania’s Home Inventory Checklist Brochure. Keep the brochure is a safe location.
- Pack medicines and key medical information.
- Bring food and medications for your pets.
- Create a Family Emergency Plan. If you must evacuate your home, know how to reach family members.
- Purchase a cell phone power bank and keep it fully charged.
- Program phone numbers into your cell phone, including emergency contact numbers.
- If you’re going to try to ride out the storm, strengthen your home. Trim trees, cover windows, store loose outdoor items, secure all doors and find a safe location for your vehicle.
- Help your neighbors who may need assistance collecting supplies and check on them once the weather is safe.
By taking these precautions, you and your family will be better prepared if a storm hits. If you do need to file a claim following a hurricane, you could speed up the claims process by using Germania’s Home Inventory Checklist. The checklist is a simple tool you may never need, but it is invaluable when catastrophe does strike. Remember, it only takes one storm to do tremendous damage to your land, your home, your belongings and your vehicles.